Call: Primary teachers and secondary language teachers (Dutch/English) from Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius
LVS BES tests NVT/English
Are you a primary teacher or a secondary language teacher (Dutch/English) on Bonaire, Saba or St. Eustatius? Do you think it is important that students receive valid test results? Then join the LVS BES project team to contribute to the standard setting of the tests for NVT and English.
What is standard setting?
Recently we have been busy developing tests for NVT and English tests for LVS BES. For each test we are going to determine exactly what a student has to be able to do (and what they don’t have to be able to do) to achieve a certain level, this is called standard setting. We will do this standard setting according to scientifically sound methods. In order to do this, we need the opinion of teachers like you.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for teachers who teach in primary or secondary on Bonaire, Saba or St. Eustatius. Are you not currently teaching, but did you do so until no longer than 2 years ago? Then you can also participate. Knowledge of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Languages) is not a requirement, but it is an advantage.
What does it entail?
- Training CEFR receptive (2 hours, plus approx. 1 hour of homework)
- Training standard setting receptive (2 hours, plus approx. 1 hour of homework)
- Reading and Listening standard setting session (3 hours)
- Training CEFR productive (2 hours, plus approx. 1 hour of homework)
- Training standard setting productive (2 hours, plus approx. 1 hour of homework)
- Writing and Speaking standard setting session (3 hours).
All sessions will be online and will be scheduled after Caribbean school time (and hence in the evenings for anyone joining from the Netherlands due to the time difference with the BES-islands) between mid-September and the end of November 2023.
You will be part of a team, consisting of a chairperson from the LVS BES project team, 2 CEFR specialists and 2 teachers.
The standard setting of the tests takes place at different CEFR levels: PreA1, A1, A2, and B1. You have to be able to commit to the entire process for one level. In total, this involves about 18 hours of work for one level. Should you have knowledge of multiple levels and would like to participate in standard setting at multiple levels, you are welcome to do so!
At a later stage, a number of checks will be carried out on the set standards. We would be very grateful if you could participate in this part of the process as well. This is expected to take place in 2 years from now. Participating in this stage is not a requirement but if you can, it is much appreciated.
What do you get in return?
- You can gain an insider perspective into the creation of the LVS BES tests for NVT and English.
- You contribute to the creation of meaningful and valid tests.
- You will receive a remuneration of $600 for the standard setting (both for the preparation and for participating in the online meetings per level, an adjusted remuneration applies for multiple levels ).
You can sign up until June 26 by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate clearly if you are interested in standard setting for NVT or English and if you have a preference for a specific level.
We would also like to receive your CV, showing your experience with teaching on the BES Islands (either currently or recently). For more information, please contact Carla Astridis at email@example.com or +31 (0)6 – 10 60 58 13.
After receiving your application we will contact you to discuss the next steps.